The work of Rudolf Schwarz (1897–1961) allows a deeper understanding of post-war German architecture, representing the product of a continuous European architectural and intellectual practice that bridged the Second World War. Known especially for his churches, Schwarz is perhaps best remembered for his significant contributions to the reconstruction of Cologne. This book examines nine of his religious and secular buildings in the Rhineland, which are presented through new survey drawings and photographs. These are accompanied by Schwarz’s project descriptions and his lecture “Architecture of Our Times” from 1958, which contextualizes his approach. Essays by Wolfgang Pehnt and an interview with Schwarz’s wife, the architect Maria Schwarz, provide further insight into this complex oeuvre.