- Searches are case insensitive.
- Use whole words and phrases; truncated words do not work. Stemming and wildcard searches are not supported. The search engine will return results only for exactly the word or words you enter into the search box.
- Accents and diacritical marks can be problematic. Words with accents or diacritical marks must be entered into the search box with those marks.
- Quote marks around a phrase (for example: "analytic philosophy") will restrict the search results to exactly that phrase.
- If you enter more than one word (without quote marks surrounding), the Boolean operator "AND" is assumed. For the Boolean operator "OR" enter an uppercase "OR" between two or more words.
- Exclude a word from your search by putting a minus sign ("-") immediately in front of the term you want to exclude.
- Very common English words are ignored, including articles, conjunctions, prepositions, and pronouns.