Personal Faith and Institutional Commitments
Roman Catholic Modernist and Anti-Modernist Autobiography
Distributed for University of Scranton Press
This careful and well documented scholarship sheds an unusually clear light on both the broad historical context and the individual protagonists.
Introduction by John Barbour
1. More than a Biblical Critic: Loisy's Reform Agenda in Light of His Autobiographies, by Harvey Hill
2. Identity Formation, Reconstruction, and Transformation: The Autobiographical Trajectory of Albert Houtin
3. Multiple Identities: Joseph Turmel, Moderniste Démasqué, by C.J.T. Talar
4. Slatter's O'Connell: Americanism and Modernism in the Biographie de J.R. Slattery, by William Portier
5. Telling the Story: Maude Petre as Autobiographer, by Ellen Leonard
6. Luis Martín (1846-1906): The Black Pope of the Modernist Period, by David Schultenover, S.J.