Pop Goes the Avant-Garde
Experimental Theater in Contemporary China
Distributed for Seagull Books
The Avant-Garde in the Twenty-First Century: The Return of the Living Dead?
Part 1: An Avant-Garde Trilogy: Experimental Theatre in Contemporary China
1. Introduction: The Avant-Garde in China: Contexts, Concepts, Chronologies
2. Behind the Red Curtain: Experimental Theatre in China after Mao
3. Performing Dissent and Marginality: The 1990s
4. Avant-Garde, Arrière-Garde, or Pop Avant-Garde?: Experimental Theatre into the New Millennium
Part 2: Aesthetics of Delight: The Theatre of Meng Jinghui
5. An Absurd Journey to the West: European Theatre in Post-Tiananmen China
6. Uneasy Homecomings: Parody, Deconstruction and the Subversive Rewriting of Tradition
7. Intercultural Hybrids, Pop Strategies and ‘Meng-Style Delight’: Toward a New Concept of the Avant-Garde
From Pop- to Trans-Chinese Avant-Garde(s)?