New Day in Babylon
The Black Power Movement and American Culture, 1965-1975
"New Day in Babylon is an extremely intelligent synthesis, a densely textured evocation of one of American history's most revolutionary transformations in ethnic group consciousness."—Bob Blauner, New York Times
Winner of the Gustavus Myers Center Outstanding Book Award, 1993
Introduction: A Black Power Paradigm
1. What Is "Black Power"?
2. Precursors and Preconditions: Why Was There a Black Power Movement?
3. Who Were the "Militants"?
Black Power on Campus
Black Power in Sports
Black Power and Labor
Black Power and "Total Institutions"
4. The Ideologies of Black Power
5. Black Power in Afro-American Culture: Folk Expressions
6. Black Power and American Culture: Literary and Performing Arts
Understanding Black History
Conclusion: Whatever Happened to Black Power?