How Do I Prepare My Manuscript for Ethics?
- Begin by confirming that Ethics is the right journal for your manuscript by reviewing our Policy Statement and note about the kinds of submissions appropriate for Ethics. Then, read through some of the tables of contents and freely available articles in Ethics to get a sense for the kinds of articles that Ethics publishes. Once you’ve confirmed that Ethics is a suitable outlet for your manuscript, please continue with the following steps.
- First publication: Submission of a manuscript to Ethics is understood to imply that the manuscript is not under consideration by any other journal and is offered to Ethics for first publication.
- Length: Please make sure your submission is the appropriate length for its article type: less than 15,000 words for Original Articles (including notes), and less than 6,000 words (including notes) for Discussions. Although different types of articles require more or less space, the editors generally prefer Original Articles to be between 5,000 and 12,000 words.
- Editing: In the interest of expediting the review process and increasing chances of a successful submission, authors are strongly encouraged to submit manuscripts that have been carefully edited with an eye to structure and style.
- Anonymization: Please anonymize your submission for blind review. In particular, remove your name from the title page, headers and footers; remove any acknowledgments or references to personal communication; remove any references to your own published or unpublished manuscripts; remove references to other authors’ unpublished manuscripts, as references to such manuscripts can potentially reveal your identity or can suggest that you have personal contact with those authors (even if that is not the case).
- Formatting: Please use footnotes rather than endnotes; manuscripts should be in 12-point font with 1-inch margins; everything should be double spaced, including quotations and footnotes. Please use one of the following four formats when preparing your manuscript: any recent version of Microsoft Word (.doc or .docx), PDF (.pdf), WordPerfect (.wpd), or Rich Text Format (.rtf).
- Abstract: Please prepare an abstract of less than 250 words to upload with the manuscript.
Once you have completed the above steps, you are ready to go to the Manuscript submission instructions.